Grand Daddy I.U. - Smooth Assassin (1990) [Remastered] **Cold Chillin' **

-
01. The U Is Smooth
02. Pick Up The Pace
03. Something New
04. I Kick Ass
05. Mass Destruction
06. Gals Dem So Hot
07. Girl In The Mall (Bonus Track)
08. Kay Cee Is Nasty
09. Nobody Move
10. Dominos
11. Behind Bars
12. Soul Touch
13. This Is A Recording
14. Sugar Free
15. Phuck 'Em Up U (Bonus Track)
16. Shout Outs (Bonus Track)
-
-
In 1990 Grand Daddy I.U., the Barry White of Hip Hop, had cats shook with his dope yet underappreciated debut album "Smooth Assassin". NYC radio showed I.U. love rotating "Sugar Free", because the song had that modified-new-jack-swing sound that exploded between `89 and `92. After his brother, DJ Kay Cee, convinced him to make a demo, I.U. was signed to Cold Chillin' Records. I.U.'s association with the Juice Crew (Big Daddy Kane, Biz Markie, Kool G Rap, Roxanne Shante, MC Shan, Masta Ace and Craig G) gave people an idea of his capablities. "Smooth Assassin" dropped and emerging NY rappers saw a glimpse into raps' future that placed clever rhymes ahead of showmanship and gaudy clothing. "Something New" is genius. In 1966 James and Bobby Purify hit number six on the pop charts with "I m Your Puppet". Thirty-four years later Cutmaster Cool V and Biz Markie freaked "Puppet" and a generation of b-boys and b-girls got down to a loop their parents sock-hopped to. Lyrically I.U. wrecked the competition with punchy lines that bounce on Markie's drum pattern and float over these classic piano keys. "Soul Touch" is NY scratch rap at its roots and its best. I.U.'s brother Kay Cee provided the cuts and probably found the chorus sample. I.U. is great on this track. Line after line he commands rap cliches before they could be called cliches. The man raps, "So let the soul be heard, `cause it s preferred and that's word to Big Bird", I.U. had this on record way before anyone else. "Smooth Assassin" was entirely produced by the legendary Biz Markie with help from his DJ Cutmaster Cool V, recorded at the infamous Power Play Studios in Queens and engineered by DJ Doc of B.D.P. fame. If you've ever wondered what I.U. stood for, well it's his real name.
-
-
-
mp3 @ 192 kbps / Joint Stereo / 94,8 mb
-
-
-

-
-

Something New

-